Score: VCU 3, Rhode Island 0 (25-15, 25-19, 25-16)
Location: Richmond, Va. (Siegel Center)
Records: 13-5 (4-0 A-10), Rhode Island 6-10 (1-3)
The short story: Senior outside hitter Vicky Giommarini (Rome, Italy) smashed 10 kills and led a an outstanding top-to-bottom effort for VCU Friday night. VCU has won seven straight matches.
- Giommarini hit .250 on 24 swings. She also served up four aces, including three in a single rally in the first set. Giommarini also dug 12 balls
- Redshirt senior Jaelyn Jackson (South Chesterfield, Va.) was nearly perfect Friday. She spiked eight kills on nine attempts and did not commit an error. She also provided three blocks
- Senior middle Jasmin Sneed (San Antonio, Texas) added five blocks, while senior opposite Gina Tuzzolo (Newport News, Va.) supplied seven kills
- Gabrielle Shilling led Rhody with 10 kills
- VCU held Rhode Island to a .010 hitting percentage and piled up 8.5 blocks in just three sets
- VCU served up eight aces in the match
- Rhode Island looked to strike back in the third set. URI stormed out to an 11-6 lead in the set, but, with senior Dajah Ard (Arlington, Texas) serving VCU put together a 13-0 blitz to take command of the frame
- VCU needed just 1:10 to complete the sweep, which is tied for the Black and Gold's shortest match of the season
- Giommarini was honored in a prematch ceremony. The senior recently became the seventh member of VCU's 1,000-kill club
- VCU is 34-2 against A-10 opponents the past three seasons
VCU will take on Fordham on Sunday, Oct. 13 at noon at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.