Tournament: Carolina Classic
Score: VCU 3, North Carolina 1 (27-25, 21-25, 25-23, 30-28)
Location: Chapel Hill, N.C. (Carmichael Arena)
Records: VCU 7-5, North Carolina 1-7
The short story: Senior opposite Gina Tuzzolo (Newport New, Va.) spiked a match-high 18 kills and VCU combined for 15 blocks in a 3-1 win at North Carolina Friday.
- Tuzzolo led three Rams in double figure kills. She added a pair of blocks
- Senior outside hitter Vicky Giommarini (Rome, Italy) added 14 kills and 12 digs to the VCU cause
- Junior outside hitter Paula Neciporuka (Kuldiga, Latvia) also registered a double-double with 14 kills and 11 digs. She hit .367 on the night for the Rams
- Defensively, senior Kat Young (Chantilly, Va.) led the way with eight blocks, while seniors Jasmin Sneed (San Antonio, Texas) and Jaelyn Jackson (South Chesterfield, Va.) provided seven apiece
- Lauren Harrison led UNC with 17 kills
- VCU outhit the Tarheels .277 to .163 and recorded 15 blocks to UNC's nine
- North Carolina staved off two match points before VCU finally broke through with back-to-back kills by Neciporuka and Giommarini to give the Black & Gold a 30-28 win in the fourth
- With the match tied 1-1, VCU hit .378 in the third on the way to a 25-23 win
- Three Rams recorded at least seven blocks Friday
- Giommarini now sits with 961 kills on the way to her quest to 1,000. She needs six to pass Ludmila Francescatto for ninth on VCU's career list
VCU will take on Radford at 10 a.m. and Colgate at 4:30 p.m. Saturday in the final day of the Carolina Classic.