Score: VCU 3, Virginia Tech 1 (21-25, 25-19, 25-19, 25-19)
Location: Richmond, Va. (Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 5-3, Virginia Tech 3-4
The short story: Senior middle Jasmin Sneed (San Antonio, Texas) powered a dominant front line as VCU surged past Virginia Tech Tuesday night for the Rams' fourth win in five matches.
- Sneed clocked in for 10 kills and eight blocks, including a pair of solos. The Rams' all-time leader in blocks also hit .588 on the night
- Senior outside hitter Vicky Giommarini (Rome, Italy) spiked 13 kills, dug six balls and recorded three blocks for the Black and Gold
- Senior opposite Gina Tuzzolo (Newport News, Va.) and junior outside Paula Neciporuka (Kuldiga, Latvia) contributed 11 kills each to the VCU effort
- Three Rams were credited with at least six blocks each
- Kaity Smith led Virginia Tech with 15 kills
- VCU recorded 15.5 blocks in the match. The Hokies' front line, meanwhile, produced three
- The Rams hit .331 in the match to overcome a slow start in the first set
- Sneed helped the Black and Gold turn things around in the second set when she fired five kills in seven swings and registered five blocks on the way to a 25-19 win
- VCU's win was its first over Virginia Tech since the 1985 season. The Hokies had won 15 straight against the Rams until Tuesday
- The Rams hit .138 in the first set, but connected at a .388 clip the rest of the way
VCU has completed a five-match homestand and will hit the road for a contest at Wichita State on Friday, Sept. 13 at 8 p.m.