Tournament: N.C. State Invitational
Score: Washington State 3, VCU 0 (25-13, 25-22, 25-18)
Location: Raleigh, N.C. (Reynolds Coliseum)
Records: Washington State 1-0, VCU 0-2
The short story: Junior Vicky Giommarini supplied six kills, 11 digs and three blocks for VCU, but it wasn't enough for the Rams to slow down Washington State Saturday afternoon at the N.C. State Invitational.
- VCU junior Madalon Simpson led VCU on the back row with 12 digs. She also served up a pair of aces
- Junior Jasmin Sneed added four kills and four blocks for the Rams
- Seniors Tori Baldwin and Julia Adler, as well as junior Gina Tuzzolo, contributed two blocks each for the Black and Gold. Junior setter Dajah Ard handed out 11 assists
- Taylor Mims sparked the Cougars with a match-high 16 kills, eight digs and three blocks
- VCU hit just .033 in the match as Washington State's back row dug 48 balls
- The Cougars, meanwhile, hit .289 in the contest, including .444 in the opening set as the Washington State stormed to a 25-13 win
- Washington State's Alexis Dirige roamed the back row and collected 15 digs
- For their efforts this weekend, Ard and Sneed were named to the All-Tournament Team
- Sneed produced 1.12 blocks per set in a pair of matches at N.C. State, while Ard set nearly five assists per frame
VCU will host Wichita State in its home opener on Monday, Aug. 27 at 5 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center. That game will be broadcast in the Richmond area on CBS 6.3.