Score: VCU 3, Norfolk State 0 (25-13, 25-13, 25-15)
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at the Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 16-10, Norfolk State 6-16
The short story: Freshman Jasmin Sneed highlighted a dominant VCU effort with seven kills in eight swings Tuesday as the Rams wiped out Norfolk State at the E.J. Wade Arena.
- VCU trailed just once the entire match as it cruised to its third straight victory and its 16th of the season. It took VCU just 65 minutes to register the win. The Rams are 8-2 at home this year.
- Sneed did not commit a hitting error and added three blocks for VCU. Classmate Vicky Giommarini led the way with eight kills for the Rams. She also provided 11 digs.
- Freshman Madalon Simpson, handling libero duties for regular starter Rebekah Strange, dug a match-high 13 balls and served up an ace.
- Sophomore Julia Adler played just the first two sets, but picked up five kills in 10 swings and added four blocks.
- Jessica Johnson paced the Spartans with nine kills. No other Norfolk State player recorded more than three kills.
- The Rams were dominant across the board. VCU limited Norfolk State to just 18 kills in the match and forced 23 Spartan errors. NSU hit -.053 on the night.
- VCU outblocked Norfolk State 7.5-2.0, outdug the Spartans 44-30 and served up seven aces.
- Norfolk State recorded a negative hitting percentage in all three sets.
VCU returns to conference play on Friday, Oct. 28 when it hosts Fordham in a critical Atlantic 10 Conference contest at 7 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena.