Score: VCU 4, Marshall 3
Date: March 4, 2018
Location: Huntington, W.Va. (Huntington Tennis Club)
Records: VCU 10-2, Marshall 1-12
The short story: Freshman Paola Exposito Diaz Delgado's three-set victory at No. 2 singles clinched a 4-3 win over Marshall, VCU's eighth win in a row.
- After the Thundering Herd claimed the doubles point, a Marshall forfeit at No. 6 singles evened the score at 1-1 headed into singles play.
- Sophomore Noumea Witmus made quick work of Ana Marhuenda at No. 5 singles, winning 6-1, 6-2.
- Junior Anna Rasmussen extended the VCU lead to 3-1 with a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Stephanie Smith at No. 1 singles.
- Marshall knotted the score at 3-3 with wins at No. 3 and 4 singles, but Diaz Delgado defeated Maddie Silver 6-4, 2-6, 6-3 to give the Rams the match.
2. Anna Smith/Marija Bogicevic (MAR) def. Noumea Witmus/Paola Delgado (VCUW) 7-5
3. Marina Alcaide/Sofia Sualehe (VCUW) def. Brooke Lashway/Ana Marhuenda (MAR) 6-2
Order of finish: 3,1,2
1. Anna Rasmussen (VCUW) def. Stephanie Smith (MAR) 6-1, 6-3
2. Paola Delgado (VCUW) def. Maddie Silver (MAR) 6-4, 2-6, 6-3
3. Marija Bogicevic (MAR) def. Marina Alcaide (VCUW) 6-3, 7-5
4. Anna Smith (MAR) def. Melissa Ifidzhen (VCUW) 6-4, 6-2
5. Noumea Witmus (VCUW) def. Ana Marhuenda (MAR) 6-1, 6-2
6. Sofia Sualehe (VCUW) def. No player (MAR), by forfeit
Order of finish: 6,5,1,4,3,2
The Rams return to action in a week when they travel to face UNCW in Wilmington, N.C. at 1 p.m. on March 11.