Scores: VCU 4, Middle Tennessee 3
Location: Murfreesboro, Tenn. (Adams Tennis Complex)
Records: VCU 11-6, Middle Tennessee 6-11
The short story: The Rams and the Blue Raiders of Middle Tennessee traded points on Sunday, March 26, with VCU pulling out the victory 4-3. Darya Bereznhaya got things started for the Rams in singles play, but it would be a late win in three sets by Janina Braun to push the Rams past the Blue Raiders.
- Rasmussen and Braun led the team early in doubles play, defeating Sarah Sediri and Luisa Zirilli, 6-1, to improve to 16-7 on the year as a pair. However, it would be up to Darya Berezhnaya and Magda Aubets to finish off Constanza Magazzi and Lidia Burrows to take the doubles point, 6-3. The duo is now 6-4 in doubles play.
- Bereznhaya was the first to put the Rams on the board in singles play, defeating Luisa Zirilli in straight sets, 6-2, 6-4. She improves to 18-5 in singles play.
- Middle Tennessee State won in the first completed match and the third. Both were won in straight sets.
- Anna Rasmussen put the Rams up 3-2 after defeating Lidia Burrows, 6-3, 6-4. Rasmussen earned singles win number 15 on the season and is now 15-7.
- MTSU would take the fifth match to tie the score at three.
- Braun fought Josefina Zehnder for three sets. Braun took the first set, 7-5, yet dropped the second, 1-6. The third set was a microcosm of the larger match, as both women went back and forth for points. Braun would pull out the set, 7-6, to put herself at 19-7 on the year in singles play.
1- Anna Rasmussen/Janina Braun (VCU) def. Sarah Sediri/Luisa Zirilli, 6-1
2- Darya Berezhnaya/Magda Aubets (VCU) def. Costanza Magazzini/Lidia Burrows, 6-3
3- Josefina Zehnder/Marta Peris Herrero (MTSU) def. Noumea Witmus/Gabriela Araujo, 6-2
1- Janina Braun (VCU) def. Josefina Zehnder, 7-5, 1-6, 7-6
2- Anna Rasmussen (VCU) def. Lidia Burrows, 6-3, 6-4
3- Costanza Magazzini (MTSU) def. Magda Aubets, 7-5, 6-0
4- Darya Berezhnaya (VCU) def. Luisa Zirilli, 6-2, 6-4
5- Marta Peris Herrero (MTSU) def. Gabriela Araujo, 6-3, 6-4
6- Sarah Sediri (MTSU) def. Noumea Witmus, 7-5, 6-3
The Rams return to the court at Old Dominion on Saturday, April 1 at 11 a.m.