- Score: Tennessee 4, VCU 0
- Records: VCU (22-5), Tennessee (13-11)
- Location: Cone-Kenfield Tennis Stadium – Chapel Hill,N.C.
- The Short Story: The Lady Vols of Tennessee handed VCU its first loss since Feb. 24, dropping the Rams, 4-0, in the first round of the NCAA Tournament. Sophomores Cindy Chala and Salome Kvitashvili were leading their singles matches, but were unable to complete the wins before Tennessee secured the team victory.
How It Happened
- Tennessee's fifth-ranked duo of Brynn Boren and Kata Szekely quickly grabbed momentum for the Lady Vols with an 8-2 win at the top doubles position. An 8-3 win at the second doubles spot gave UT a 1-0 advantage.
- Three straight set singles victories later the Lady Vols had snapped VCU's 13-match win streak and advanced to the NCAA Tournament Second Round. It's the second straight year that the Rams have lost to UT in the first round.
#31 Tennessee 4, #38 VCU 0
1. #24 Brynn Boren (UT) vs. #76 Cindy Chala (VCU) 3-6, 4-3, unfinished
2. #35 Kata Szekely (UT) def. Yukako Noi (VCU) 6-1, 7-6 (7-1)
3. Caitlyn Williams (UT) def. Josefin Hjertquist (VCU) 6-0, 6-1
4. Joanna Henderson (UT) vs. Salome Kvitashvili (VCU) 4-6, 1-5, unfinished
5. Mimi Fotopoulos (UT) def. Olga Terteac (VCU) 6-0, 6-1
6. Tiffany Tavares (UT) vs. Olga Barscheuskaya (VCU) 7-5, 5-2, unfinished
1. #5 Brynn Boren/Kata Szekely (UT) def. Olga Barscheuskaya/Yukako Noi (VCU) 8-2
2. Joanna Henderson/Sarah Toti (UT) def. Cindy Chala/Josefin Hjertquist (VCU) 8-3
3. Caitlyn Williams/Jesse Grace (UT) vs. Salome Kvitashvili/Olga Terteac (VCU) 3-7, unfinished