Final Score: VCU: 1, Dayton: 0
Location: Richmond, Va. (Sports Backers Stadium)
Records: VCU 8-6-2 (2-5-1 A-10), Dayton 6-7-3(4-2-2, A-10)
THE SHORT STORY
VCU defeated Dayton in Atlantic 10 Conference play on a rainy Sunday afternoon after a second-half goal lifted the Rams to a 1-0 victory.
- VCU held Dayton to zero shots through the first 45 minutes of play.
- In the 78th minute, VCU took a 1-0 lead when it scored off a corner kick.
- The Rams outshot the flyers 14-8 on the afternoon, landing five on frame.
- Sophomore keeper Brecht Haakma (Amsterdam, Netherlands) made three crucial saves to help lift VCU to the victory.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Right out of the gate, VCU launched an early attack that produced two corner kicks with a couple of good looks at goal.
- In the sixth minute, senior Alyssa Tallent (Woodbridge, Va.) fired a rocket from 25-yards out that forced a spectacular save by the Flyers' keeper.
- After the halftime break, Haakma made a spectacular save of her own in the 49th minute to deny a Dayton free kick of tucking in the top left corner.
- VCU continued to pepper the Dayton goal with shots as junior Samantha Jerabek (Chesterfield, Va.) landed a shot on frame that was saved in the 55th minute.
- Some of the Rams' best looks came in the 60th minute when it fired three-consecutive shots on target, but impressive goalkeeping by Dayton kept the Rams off the board.
- The go-ahead goal finally came for the rams in the 78th minute. Jerabek took a corner that was placed beautifully just in front of goal. The ball was deflected in by a Dayton defender to give VCU the 1-0 lead.
- Dayton pressured VCU in the final minutes, but Haakma made two impressive saves to preserve the shutout and VCU victory.
The Rams will be back in action Thursday, Oct. 24 at 7 p.m. as it heads to Davidson for its final regular season road match.