Final Score: VCU: 1, Duquesne: 2
Location: Pittsburgh, Pa. (Rooney Field)
Records: VCU: 6-2-1 (0-1, A-10), Duquesne: 3-2-2 (1-0, A-10)
THE SHORT STORY
Two second half goals by Duquesne were enough to defeat VCU 2-1 on the opening day of Atlantic 10 conference play.
- VCU opened the match's scoring in the 26th minute as sophomore Idelys Vazquez (Virginia Beach, Va.) buried a rebound for a 1-0 lead.
- Duquesne leveled the game in the 74th minute.
- The game-winning goal came in the 84th minute as the Dukes took advantage of another corner kick for a 2-1 lead.
- VCU outshot Duquesne 17-7, landing five of its shots on frame.
- Juniors Emma Kershner (Centreville, Va.) and Samantha Jerabek (Chesterfield, Va.) fired four shots a piece.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Jerabek let a shot fly in the 16th minute, putting it on frame, but the Duquesne keeper made a diving fingertip save to keep things scoreless.
- The go-ahead goal nearly came in the 20th minute by way of senior Amanda Tredway (Downingtown, Pa.). She flew into the box to pick up a loose ball, but her shot toward the left post was saved by a sliding Dukes keeper.
- Things broke open for the Rams in the 26th minute for a 1-0 lead. Kershner took a free kick just outside the box and banged her shot off the right post as Vazquez snuck in behind the defense and buried the rebound for her third goal of the season.
- Young made an important save in the 54th minute to keep Duquesne from netting one into the top right corner of the frame.
- The Dukes knotted the game back up in the 74th minute, finding the back of the net after a corner kick.
- Kershner was inches wide of a go-ahead goal in the 79th minute as her shot hit the side netting.
- Duquesne capitalized on yet another corner kick to take a 2-1 lead in the 84th minute.
HEAD COACH LINDSEY MARTIN
"We create far too many chances which we don't capitalize and that leaves us vulnerable late in games. Giving away two soft goals on set pieces determined the result today. To be honest, we beat ourselves. We will re-group, watch the good and the bad on film, and be ready for SLU on Thursday at Sports Backers."
VCU will return home for a 2018 A-10 Finals rematch with Saint Louis on Thursday, September 26. Kickoff at Sports Backers Stadium is set for 7 p.m.