Final Score: VCU 5, Rhode Island 0
Location: Southern Kingstown, R.I. (URI Soccer Complex)
Records: VCU (13-3), Rhode Island (0-16-1)
DThe Short Story: Five different players scored goals to power the Rams to a 5-0 victory over Rhode Island. The five goals also marked a season high for VCU.
- Emma Kershner scored her first goal of the season in the 74th minute.
- Ito scored her second goal of the season in the 8th minute.
- Fox scored her second goal of the season in the 47th minute.
- Samantha Jerabek scored her 10th goal of the season in tonight's match.
- Susanna Friedrichs scored her third goal this year in tonight's match.
- Senior keeper Audrey Sanderson recorded her thirteenth win in goal and seventh clean sheet of this season, making two saves.
- VCU held a 22-3 advantage in shots, a 9-2 advantage in shots on goal, and a 13-3 advantage in corner kicks.
- With a win tonight, VCU clinched the right to host a home match in the Atlantic 10 tournament beginning October 27.
- Today's win marked the third consecutive victory for the Rams, who have also won nine of their last ten matches, and pushed them to 8-1 in conference play this season.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams started the match on the attack when Ito recorded the first shot and the first goal in just the 8th minute of action. Her shot from the top of the box found the back of the net and put VCU on top 1-0 early in the first half. Kelly Graves was credited with an assist on the play.
- VCU stayed aggressive early, racking up five more shots in the next ten minutes. The last shot came on an attempt from Fox in the 23rd minute but it was saved by Rhode Island keeper Julia Freeman.
- Rhode Island recorded their first shot of the game in the 34th minute but Sanderon was there for the save to keep the Rams up 1-0 late in the first half.
- Fox extended VCU's lead in the 47th minute with a header that went just out of the keepers reach and into the goal. Samantha Jerabek recorded an assist after crossing the ball to Fox for the goal.
- Jerabek found the back of the net to extend the lead to 3-0 in the 63rd minute. Graves earned her second assist of the game on the play.
- Kershner put the Rams up 4-0 late in the second half when her shot from the corner of the box found the back of the net. Ito was credited with an assist on the play.
- Friedrichs scored the Rams final goal in the 85th minute to extend the lead to 5-0. Kershner was credited with the assist.
HEAD COACH LINDSEY MARTIN
"We put a good product on the field tonight from front to back. To stay focused, complete the shut out and score 5 goals against a conference opponent is an impressive night. We're excited to head home to warmer weather and finish out our regular season on Sunday with Senior Day against La Salle."
VCU continues conference play this Sunday, Oct. 21, when they host La Salle in their regular season finale at 1 p.m. at Sports Backers Stadium. The Rams will also be celebrating Senior Night prior to this game.