Final Score: VCU 1, William & Mary 0
Location: Williamsburg, Va. (Martin Family Stadium)
Records: VCU (5-2), William & Mary (3-5)
The Short Story: VCU controlled possession and outshot the Tribe 22-5 but Susanna Friedrichs' game-winner in the 56th minute was the difference and pushed the Rams past William & Mary.
- Friedrichs' game-winner was her first collegiate goal.
- Kelly Graves had a team-high four shots and had the assist on Friedrichs' goal.
- VCU's defense stifled the Tribe and allowed only one shot on target.
- Audrey Sanderson recorded her third shutout of the season making just one save.
- VCU also held a 9-1 advantage in shots on goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams put pressure on the Tribe early as Graves' header in the 12 minute forced a save from Katelyn Briguglio.
- VCU had another good opportunity in the 26th minute after Emma Kershner's shot forced a team save from William and Mary.
- The two teams went into the break deadlocked at 0-0.
- VCU again started the second half with pressure as Graves' shot in the 47th minute forced another save from Briguglio.
- Alyssa Tallent's effort in the 53th minute forced a second team save from William & Mary.
- The Rams took the lead 1-0 in the 57th minute after Graves crossed the ball from the left wing to a wide open Friedrichs' at the back post for the goal.
- William and Mary's best chance came in the 66th minute as Sarah Segan's shot hit the crossbar.
- The Rams didn't allow another shot until the 89th minute as Sanderson made her lone save of the game.
VCU opens conference play against St. Bonaventure on the road at 7 p.m. on Sept. 20.