Final Score: Iowa 2, VCU 0
Location: Iowa City, Iowa (UI Soccer Complex)
Records: VCU (3-2), Iowa (4-0-1)
The Short Story: Iowa scored twice in the second half to outlast VCU. The loss ended the Rams 3-match winning streak.
- Maddi Santo recorded three shots and two shots on goal to lead the Rams.
- VCU outshot Iowa 4-2 in the first half.
- Susanna Friedrichs recorded two shots for VCU.
- Audrey Sanderson made four saves, three of which came in the second half.
- VCU held a 2-1 advantage over Iowa in corner kicks.
- VCU had three players named to the All-Tournament Team. Sanderson, Friedrichs, and Kelly Graves each earned the nod after solid performances over the weekend.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Samantha Jerabek recorded the first shot on goal for VCU in the 29th minute. Her header attempt was saved by Iowa's keeper Claire Graves.
- Iowa's Josie Durr broke the 0-0 tie in the 50th minute, when she scored a header off an assist from Riley Whitaker.
- Santo attempted to re-tie the game in the 73rd minute, but her shot was saved by Iowa.
- The Hawkeyes scored again when in the 77th minute to extend their lead to 2-0.
- Santo provided a flurry for the Rams in the final five minutes, recording two shots. The first attempt, which came in the 86th minute, was saved by Iowa's Claire Graves. She followed that up with another chance three minutes later, but it caromed off the post.
HEAD COACH LINDSEY MARTIN
"We played a quality opponent today and they capitalized well on their opportunities. Ball possession doesn't win games and we have to learn to be more lethal in the final third to get games like today."
VCU travels to Norfolk, Va. for a matchup with Old Dominion at 4:30 p.m. on Thursday Sept. 6.