Final Score: Massachusetts 22, VCU 14
Location: Amherst, Mass.
Records: VCU (4-5, 1-1 A-10), UMass (7-3, 2-0 A-10)
The Short Story: Trailing 16-5 at halftime, VCU outscored UMass 9-6 in the second half but couldn't overcome the early deficit.
- Sky Hyatt scored a game-high six goals on eight shot attempts. She also had six draw controls, two caused turnovers and two ground balls.
- Molly Barcikowski scored three goals and had two ground balls.
- Keriann McTavish scored once and added a team-high three assists.
- Clare Murphy and Anna Koniencki eached score once and had one assist.
- UMass outshot VCU 40-30 overall and 30-21 in shots on goal.
- The Minutewomen were led by Stephanie Croke who scored five goals along with three assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams found themselves trailing 4-1 with 21:39 left in the first half. VCU scored three unanswered goals to even the game at 4-4 just over three minutes later.
- The Minutewomen would score 12 of the next 13 goals to build a 16-5 halftime lead.
- VCU rallied and score five of the next seven goals coming out of halftime to cut the deficit to 18-10 with 17:10 left to play.
- The Rams would get within eight goals two more times during the half but would get no closer.
VCU travels to Saint Joseph's for a 4:30 p.m. draw on March 29.