Final Score: VCU 13, St. Bonaventure 8
Location: St. Bonaventure, N.Y. (Marra Field)
Records: VCU (4-8, 2-2 A-10), St. Bonaventure (0-12, 0-4)
The Short Story: With the game tied 4-4 with 9:27 left in the first half, VCU outscored the Bonnies 5-1 to take a 9-5 lead and held off St. Bonaventure for the final 26:28 of the contest.
- Sky Hyatt scored a game-high five goals on just seven shot attempts. Hyatt also added a game-high eight draw controls and two caused turnovers.
- Clare Murphy scored two goals and added an assist in addition to three draw controls.
- Sofia Emond, Jessica Del Rossi, Blaire Langeler, Ayana Gordon, Caroline Glenn and Megan Williamson each scored a goal for the Rams.
- Keriann McTavish also added two assists.
- Ria Peralta added five saves and Gillian Belfiore made eight saves as the two each played 30 minutes in the cage.
- The Rams went 3-of-6 on free position attempts while limiting the Bonnies to go 0-of-6.
- VCU outshot St. Bonaventure 34-28 overall and 32-21 in shots on goal.
- The Bonnies were led by Rylee Arnold who scored four goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams opened the game with back-to-back goals from Murphy and Emond to take a 2-0 lead with 25:58 left in the first half.
- The Bonnies then scored three of the next four goals to tie the game 3-3 with 11:50 left in the half.
- The two teams went back-and-forth until VCU held a slight 6-5 lead at halftime.
- VCU scored the first three goals of the second half to expand its lead to 9-5 with 26:28 remaining in the contest.
- St. Bonaventure got no closer than two goals for the remainder of the game.
VCU hosts George Washington on April 13 for a 5 p.m. opening draw.