Final Score: Lehigh 16, VCU 10
Location: Easton, Pa. (Lafayette's Fisher Field)
Records: VCU 1-3, Lehigh 3-3
The Short Story: The Rams' offense came to life in the second half scoring eight goals in the final 28:48 but it wasn't enough to overcome a 7-2 halftime deficit against the Mountain Hawks.
- Sky Hyatt scored a team-high three goals, all in the second half, on seven shot attempts. She also added three draw controls and a ground ball.
- Clare Murphy and Blare Langeler each found the back of the net twice on three shot attempts.
- Sofia Emond, Ayana Gordon and Molly Barcikowski each scored once.
- Olivia McGrath had a team-high four draw controls while Luisa Mangione recorded a team-high three ground balls.
- Lehigh outshot VCU 37-26 overall and 31-17 on frame.
- The Mountain Hawks were led by Kellie Gough who scored a game-high six goals.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Lehigh and VCU battled to begin the game as the Mountain Hawks led the Rams just 2-1 with 13:45 left in the first half.
- Lehigh then scored five unanswered goals to build a 7-1 lead before Murphy scored with 29 seconds left before the break to make it 7-2 in favor of Lehigh at halftime.
- The Rams struck first in the second half as Murphy scored again but Lehigh answered with five consecutive goals to take a 12-3 lead.
- VCU would find its footing on offense and outscored Lehigh 6-3 over a span of just over 12 minutes to get back within 15-9.
- The two teams traded goals during the final two minutes as VCU was unable to overcome the early deficit.
VCU hosts Army in its home opener at 1 p.m. on Sunday March 11 at Cary Street Field. Admission is free.