Final Score: UMBC 21, VCU 9
Location: Baltimore, Md. (UMBC Stadium)
Records: VCU 0-2, UMBC 3-0
The Short Story: After falling behind 4-0 early, the Rams scored four unanswered goals to tie the game 4-4 before trailing 10-7 at halftime. UMBC was able to outscored VCU 11-2 in the second half for the win.
- Sky Hyatt scored a team-high three goals on five shot attempts. Hyatt also recorded a team-high six draw controls and finished with two ground balls.
- Molly Barcikowski scored two goals and picked up three ground balls.
- Jessica Del Rossi also found the back of the net twice on both of her shot attempts.
- Clare Murhpy and Isabella Evans-Riester each scored once for the Rams.
- UMBC outshot VCU 43-17 overall and 34-14 in shots on goal.
- The Retrievers were led by Sara Moeller who had six goals and six assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- UMBC jumped out to a 4-0 lead with 25:57 left in the first half before the Rams responded with four goals of their own.
- Evans-Riester opened the VCU scoring while Del Rossi added the second goal. Barcikowski then scored back-to-back goals to tie the game at 4-4 with 19:56 left before halftime.
- The teams went back-and-forth before being tied up 7-7 with 7:52 left in the period after Hyatt scored on a free position. UMBC scored the final three goals to lead 10-7 at halftime.
- The teams traded goals to start the second half but UMBC outscored VCU 10-1 the rest of the way.
VCU will play at Longwood on Feb. 28 at 3 p.m. in a non-conference match.