Final Score: George Mason 16, VCU 5
Location: George Mason Stadium (Fairfax, Va.)
Records: VCU 3-14 (1-8 A-10), George Mason 12-4 (7-2 A-10)
The Short Story: The VCU Rams lacrosse team ended their inaugural season on Saturday afternoon at George Mason. Despite the 16-5 result in favor of the Patriots, the Rams had multiple bright spots in their play that they look forward to having in 2017.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- George Mason started with a big run to begin the game, firing in eight straight goals before VCU responded over the first 20 minutes of the first half.
- VCU came back with a pair of goals, with the first one coming at the 8:10 mark from Ryann Shaughnessy. The other Black and Gold goal in the first half came from Claire Murphy at the 5:46 mark remaining in the first half.
- The Patriots grabbed one more goal before halftime, as George Mason held a 9-2 lead going into the break.
- It would be George Mason opening up the scoring in the second half, but VCU trading goals as Sofia Emond scored a goal off a free position shot, putting the score at 10-3.
- Jordan Sdanowich scored three goals in the second half to go with one in the first half for four total as the Patriots outscored the Rams 6-2 over the final 20 minutes of the second half, as the Rams took the loss 16-5.
OFF THE DRAW
- George Mason took advantage of their free position shots, converting 3-of-4 opportunities, compared to VCU who went 1-for-5 in the same category.
- The Patriots also controlled the ground game, scooping 25 ground balls versus VCU's 14.
- Turnovers and shots against we big problems for the Black and Gold, as VCU committed 21 turnovers, an faced 35 total shots on the day.