Score: La Salle 7, VCU 5
Location: Richmond, VA (Cary Street Field)
Records: La Salle 3-6 (1-1), VCU 2-8 (0-2)
The Short Story: VCU women's lacrosse hosted La Salle in the program's first ever Atlanitc 10 conference game at Cary Street Field. Sky Hyatt recorded her second hat trick of the season as the Rams were defeated by the Explorers 7-5 on Sunday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After letting up an early score, Hyatt found the net for her first goal of the day to tie the game 1-1 just under four minutes into the contest. Clare Murpy assisted on the play.
- Sofia Emond added back-to-back scores as the Rams pulled ahead 3-1 with ten minutes remaining in the half. Emond also scored twice against Richmond on Friday.
- Shortly after, La Salle made it a 3-2 game and tacked on another just before the half to tie the game.
- The Explorers scored four-straight after the break to take a 7-4 lead.
- Hyatt was able to score twice more, but it would not be enough to complete the come from behind victory.
- Goalkeeper Ria Peralta played well in her first weekend of A-10 play. The freshman made 10 saves to keep her team within reach against La Salle and also had double-digit saves against Richmond on Friday.
- "I think we had a little bit of a mental let down after a really tough, energized game against our cross town rival to open A-10 play on Friday. Nevertheless, we are commited to getting back to work on Tuesday to focus on our mental toughness, confidence as well as continuing to have stick together as a team both on and off of the field." – Head Coach Jen O'Brien
- "I think that we came out better as a team than we have all season. There are still just a few things that we need to clear up. our team was working really well together. We've had two tough losses back-to-back to open conference play, butwe are ready to work on Tuesday and clean up some of those mistakes. Other than that, I think that the main thing to take away from this weekend is that this group's fire, intensity and teamwork has been stepped up another 10 notches and we are ready to roll." - Sky Hyatt
WHAT'S NEXT VCU will resume A-10 Conference play at Duquesne on Friday, April 8th. Game time is scheduled for 4 P.M.