Score: Richmond 16, VCU 9
Location: Richmond, VA (Robins Stadium)
Records: VCU 2-7 (0-1), Richmond 5-3 (1-0)
The Short Story: VCU women's lacrosse opened Atlantic 10 conference play on Friday, April 1st as they traveled across town to face off against crosstown rival Richmond. The Rams held their own and introduced themselves to the A-10 in a close 16-9 contest against the Spiders, a preseason selection to finish second in the conference.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Trailing 3-0 early, the Rams got on the board with a score from Sofia Emond. Seven minutes later, the freshman added a second goal to make it a one-goal game at 5-4.
- Emond assisted Blaire Langeler to tie the game. It was Langeler's second in the game and fifth on the season. The midfielder added two more in the final minutes of the contest for her second career hat trick.
- The Spiders regained the lead with back-to-back goals but the Rams got one back when Sky Hyatt assisted Ryann Shaughnessy for a 7-6 game.
- Richmond tacked on another goal to close out the first half and five more to start the second to take a commanding 12-6 lead.
- Langeler and Megan Williamson each scored in the second half.
- Ria Peralta recorded a career-high 14 saves.
- "The girls did everything we asked of them. We asked them to fight and they did just that, so we cannot be unhappy with the results. They did a great job of pretty much eliminating their top two players and made some others step up, which they did, credit to Richmond. Again, we're just proud of how hard they fought and how well they stuck together." – Head Coach Jen O'Brien
WHAT'S NEXT VCU returns home to Cary Street Field on Sunday, April 3rd as they host La Salle in A-10 action at noon.