Score: Winthrop 19, VCU 7
Location: Richmond, Va. (Cary Street Field)
Records: VCU 1-3, Winthrop 5-0 (6-0)
The Short Story: On Friday, VCU women's lacrosse returned to Cary Street Field for the first time since the program's historic first win over Gardner-Webb on Valentine's Day. The Rams fell to Winthrop 19-7 in their second game at home this season.
- Freshman Molly Barcikowski led the way for the Rams, recording her second collegiate hat-trick. She also added two assists to her three scores.
- Sofia Emond scored her first hat-trick in VCU's previous game at Liberty and stayed hot on Friday, notching two more goals against the Eagles.
- Mackenzie Galli and Sky Hyatt also found the net for the Rams, each chipped in a score.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Eagles jumped out to a 3-0 lead before Hyatt put the Rams on the board with her score in the 12th minute.
- The Eagles answered with a score, but Barcikowski's first goal of the game cut the Winthrop lead to two.
- After two Winthrop goals, Barcikowski dug into the lead again with her second score, making it a 6-3 game.
- The Eagles added three more before halftime. Barcikowski scored her third of the game three minutes into the second half.
- VCU tacked on three more goals, but it wasn't enough as Winthrop's lead was too much to overcome.
- "We took a step forward today in areas that we had focused on during the last week and a half. Our clearing and draw controls improved, which are two things that we worked on in the past two games. We still need possession, but we are really proud of the effort the girls put forth. It is great to see them stand together and work well with one another." - Head Coach Jen O'Brien
- VCU continues the season and remains at home for a showdown with Campbell on Sunday, March 6th. Game time is set for 1:00 P.M.