Score: Liberty 19, VCU 9
Location: Lynchburg, Va. (Liberty Lacrosse Fields)
Records: LU 1-2, VCU 1-2
The Short Story: VCU women's lacrosse was defeated 19-9 by Liberty in Lynchburg, Va. on Wednesday. Sofia Emond was the leading scorer for the Rams, picking up her first collegiate hat-trick in the contest. The game was delayed due to inclement weather.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU struck the first blow on Ryann Shaughnessy's third score of the season. She has scored in each of VCU's first three games this season.
- The Flames responded with four unanswered goals to take a commanding lead.
- Mackenzie Galli cut into the lead with her fourth of the season. Molly Barcikowski picked up her fifth assist on the play.
- Galli added her second of the game after Liberty put two more on the board. Barcikowski again assisted on the play.
- Liberty scored twice more before Sky Hyatt found the net unassisted for her fourth score of the season.
- The Flames scored two more times before the half to take a 10-4 lead into the break.
- The Rams added five more in the second half, but it was not enough to overcome the deficit.
- "We were pleased to see improvements and adjustments being made after the UMBC game. We knew this was going to be a difficult game as Liberty is a very tough team. To be competitive we need the ball and at the end of the day, we just played too much defense and did not have nearly enough possessions." – Head Coach Jen O'Brien
- "Our schedule does not get easier and our expectations are not going to change. We will continue to make adjustments as players and coaches so we can meet those expectations as a team." – Head Coach Jen O'Brien
WHAT'S NEXT VCU returns home for back-back games against Winthrop and Campbell starting on March 4th. Game time against Winthrop is set for 4 P.M.