Score: UMBC 20, VCU 5
Location: Baltimore, MD (UMBC Stadium)
Records: VCU 1-1, UMBC 1-1
The Short Story: VCU women's lacrosse returned to action after an historic win in their inaugural game, facing off against UMBC in Baltimore on Saturday. Sky Hyatt, Molly Barcikowski and Ryann Shaughnessy found the net for the Rams.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Retrievers scored first and quickly built a three score lead.
- Hyatt got cut into the lead with her second goal of the season to make it a 3-1 game.
- UMBC doubled its total before Hyatt chipped away again with another score.
- Less than a minute later, Barcikowski scored her sixth of the season on an assist from Mary Hagopian.
- Barcikowski and Shaughnessy added goals after halftime to bring the VCU total to five.
- "While we are disappointed on a lot fo fronts, we are happy to have this learning experience for our young group so early in the season. We wil only continue to improve and grow. This is a wonderful opportunity to do just that. The beauty of our sport is there is another day and another game." – Head Coach Jen O'Brien
- "UMBC has a rich lacrosse history and I am proud to have played for such an amazing program. It was good to be back on the field that holds such special memories for me. I look forward to helping our players create memories of their own.
WHAT'S NEXT VCU returns home for Senior Night on Wednesday, Feb. 24th. Tip-off against George Mason is set for 7 p.m.