Final Score: VCU 53, ECU 40
Location: Richmond, Va. (Siegel Center)
Records: VCU (2-2), ECU (1-4)
The Short Story: VCU used an early 12-2 run to build a 12-4 lead midway through the first quarter and took the lead for good in front of the second-largest crowd in program history. The Rams' stingy defense held off the Pirates for the remainder of the contest in front of a Siegel Center crowd of 3,924 on Education Day.
- Madison Hattix-Covington scored 10 points and tied for a team-high with seven rebounds. She also added three steals and two assists.
- Tera Reed scored 10 points, going a perfect 3-for-3 from 3-point range.
- Danielle Hammond was the third Ram in double figures also with 10 points, shooting 3-of-4 from the field.
- VCU shot 50 percent from the floor and 50 percent from 3-point range while limiting the Pirates to just 27.4 percent shooting overall and 33.3 percent from deep.
- ECU was led by Lashonda Monk who had a game-high 16 points and seven steals.
- A major difference in the game was bench scoring, as VCU's bench outscored ECU's 20-6.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- ECU scored the game's first basket before the Rams used a 12-2 run to take the lead for good at 12-4 with 5 minutes remaining in the first quarter.
- The Rams continued to extend their lead and led 23-10 after a layup from Kseniya Malashka with 5:28 left before halftime.
- ECU ended the half on an 8-3 run to cut the VCU lead to 30-21 at halftime.
- The Pirates clawed back to 35-30 to start the third quarter before VCU went on a 9-1 run capped off by a Hammond layup to lead 44-31 with 29 seconds left in the quarter.
- VCU led by double digits the entire four quarter to hold off any ECU comeback.
VCU travels to Boston College to face the Eagles at 2 p.m. on Sunday, Nov. 24.