Final Score: No. 25 USF 77, VCU 55
Location: Tampa, Fla. (Yuengling Center)
Records: VCU (1-2), No. 25 USF (4-0)
The Short Story: After VCU took a 21-19 lead with 6:43 left in the second quarter, USF closed the half outscoring the Rams 18-5 and held the lead for the remainder of the game.
- Tera Reed had a team-high 16 points on 6-of-11 shooting along with four rebounds.
- Madison Hattix-Covington scored 11 points and had two steals.
- K.K. Tassin scored a career-high 10 points while Danielle Hammond also had 10 points.
- USF outrebounded VCU 41-27 including a 20-6 advantage in offensive boards and outscored the Rams 22-3 in second chance points.
- VCU shot 43.2 percent from the floor but just 25 percent from 3-point range. The Bulls shot 44.4 percent from the field but 55.6 percent (10-of-18) from deep.
- The Bulls were led by Maria Alvarez who scored 20 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After South Florida scored the game's first basket, VCU went on a 7-0 run to take a 7-2 lead with 7:20 left in the first quarter.
- The Bulls responded with a 12-2 run to retake the lead at 14-9 and led 17-12 at the end of the first quarter.
- The Bulls again scored first to start the second quarter but a 10-0 run by the Rams gave VCU a 22-19 lead with 5:58 left before halftime.
- USF then ended the half on a 16-2 run to lead 37-26. VCU got no closer for the remainder of the contest.
VCU hosts ECU at 11 a.m. on Nov. 20 at the Siegel Center for Education Day.