Final Score: Seton Hall 53, VCU 33
Location: Orange, N.J. (Walsh Gymnasium)
Records: VCU (1-1), Seton Hall (3-0)
The Short Story: The Pirates jumped out to a 17-4 lead at the end of the first quarter and despite a valiant defensive effort, the Rams were unable to overcome the early deficit.
- Tera Reed had a team-high nine points, three rebounds and one block.
- Danielle Hammond scored eight points on 3-of-5 shooting and grabbed three rebounds.
- Sydnei Archie had a team-high nine rebounds and four steals.
- VCU limited Seton Hall to just 32.8 percent from the floor and 5-of-22 from 3-point range (22.7 percent) but the Rams shot just 27.5 percent from the field and 0-of-10 from deep.
- Seton Hall was led by Alexis Lewis who had 10 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Seton Hall opened the game on a 17-4 run that spanned the entire first quarter.
- The Rams answered with a quick 6-0 run that was capped off by a layup from Reed that cut the VCU deficit to just 17-10 with 8:21 left before halftime.
- After a back-and-forth final eight minutes of the first half, the Pirates led 25-15 at the break.
- Seton Hall outscored VCU 21-9 in the third quarter to lead 46-24. The Rams got no closer for the remainder of the contest.
VCU will travel to face No. 25 USF in Tampa, Fla. at 11 a.m. on Friday, Nov. 15.