Final Score: Virginia Tech 82, VCU 72
Location: Blacksburg, Va. (Cassell Coliseum)
Records: VCU (24-10), Virginia Tech (22-11)
The Short Story: With the Rams trailing 63-54 with 6:53 remaining, Virginia Tech went on a 17-6 fourth quarter run to lead 80-60 with 2:09 remaining. VCU responded with a furious rally late and a 12-0 run to cut the deficit to just 80-72 but ultimately ran out of time.
- VCU's 24 wins finish as the most by the program since 2008-09.
- Reed scored a team-high 17 points and went 6-of-10 from the field. She also added five rebounds.
- Taya Robinson scored 13 points and went 5-of-12 from the floor.
- Nyra Williams was the third Ram in double figures with 11 points along with six assists.
- Sofya Pashigoreva had six points along with a team-high six rebounds.
- Virginia Tech went 28-of-38 at the free throw line while VCU was 17-of-25.
- The Hokies shot 57.1 percent from 3-point range (8-of-14) while VCU shot 31.3 percent (5-of-16).
- Tech was led by Taylor Emery who scored a game-high 21 points along with six rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU opened the game with a 6-2 advantage with 7:35 left to play in the first quarter.
- The Hokies responded with a 6-2 run of their own to tie the game at 8-8. The teams traded the lead before Virginia Tech led 16-15 at the end of the first.
- Tech went on an 8-0 run to start the second quarter and led 24-15. The Rams stayed within 10 points until a Dara Mabrey basket had VCU trailing 41-30 at the half.
- VCU continued to hang tough and despite trailing 57-45 with 2:27 left in the third as the Rams used a 6-1 run to cut the Tech lead to 58-51 heading into the fourth.
- The Hokies built their largest lead of the game at 80-60 with 2:09 left until VCU's 12-0 run got the Rams back within 80-72 with 15 seconds left. Tech sunk two free throws with three seconds left for the final margin.