Final Score: VCU 61, Davidson 54
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU (21-8, 13-3 A-10), Davidson 16-13, 10-6
The Short Story: VCU built a 15-point second half lead before holding Davidson off late to win a share of its first regular season Atlantic 10 title and the No. 1 seed for the A-10 Tournament. The Rams will play the winner of the No. 8 vs. No. 9 seed matchup at 11 a.m. on March 8 in Pittsburgh.
- The Rams posted the best conference finish in history, topping the second place finish of the 2008-09 team that finished second in the CAA and earned an at-large bid to the 2009 NCAA Tournament.
- Tera Reed scored a team-high 12 points and went 10-of-10 at the free throw line.
- Taya Robinson was second on the team with 11 points and four rebounds.
- All nine players that entered the game for VCU scored at least four points.
- The Rams shot 43.9 percent from the floor and limited Davidson to just 31.6 percent shooting.
- VCU also limited Davidson to shoot just 25.1 percent from 3-point range, going 5-of-20.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU jumped out to a 6-0 run to being the game with 7:09 left in the first quarter.
- Davidson responded with a 13-5 run to take a 13-11 lead at the end of the first.
- The Rams responded with a 15-2 run to storm back into a 26-15 lead with 3:01 left before halftime. VCU led 31-24 at the break.
- VCU extended its lead to 45-30 with 4:49 left in the third quarter before Davidson scored the final five points of the quarter to make it 45-35 heading into the final 10 minutes.
- The Rams again pulled away with a 5-0 run to push its lead back to 15 points at 50-35. The Wildcats answered with an 8-0 run to cut the deficit to 50-43 with 3:39 remaining.
- VCU let Davidson get no closer than five points for the remainder of the contest.
VCU will be the No. 1 seed and play March 8 at 11 a.m. in the A-10 Tournament Quarterfinals. VCU will play the winner of the No. 8 vs. No. 9 seed matchup.