Final Score: VCU 97, Delaware State 55
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena Stuart C. Siegel)
Records: VCU 8-5, Delaware State 2-9
The Short Story: Tera Reed scored the game's first 11 points on her way to a career-high 28 as VCU dominated the Hornets from the opening tip.
- Reed's 28 points set a new career-high while adding six assists and four rebounds in just over 19 minutes of play. Her previous career-high was 27 points vs. Duquesne on Feb. 7, 2018.
- Niya Johnson and Danielle Hammond each scored a season-high 11 points.
- The Rams made a season-high 12 3-pointer and shot a season-high 57.1 percent from deep, going 12-of-21.
- VCU shot 60.0 percent overall while limiting Delaware State to just 31.6 percent from the floor.
- All 13 VCU players that entered the game scored.
- It was the most points scored under head coach Beth O'Boyle's VCU tenure and the most points for the Rams since a 112-86 win over George Mason on Jan. 25, 2014.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams dominated the game from the opening tip as Reed scored the first 11 points to open the game.
- The Rams opened up a 20-3 lead with 3:58 left in the first quarter and led 25-9 after the first.
- The two teams had a back-and-forth second quarter with the Rams outscoring the Hornets 20-17 to lead 45-26 at halftime.
- The Hornets got with 48-30 with 8:57 left in the third quarter before VCU went on a 20-2 run to lead 68-32 with 2:21 left in the period. The Rams led 71-38 heading into the fourth quarter.
- VCU had its largest lead of the game at 87-44 with 6:02 remaining.
VCU opens Atlantic 10 play hosting Saint Joseph's at 1 p.m. on Jan. 5 at the E.J. Wade Arena.