Final Score: VCU 54, N.C. A&T 48
Location: Greensboro, N.C. (Corbett Sports Center)
Records: VCU 7-5, N.C. A&T 2-9
The Short Story: With the game tied 35-35 early in the fourth quarter, VCU went on a 16-4 run to take a 51-39 lead and ran the clock down on ensuing possessions, preventing an Aggies comeback.
- Sydnei Archie recorded a double-double with 10 points and a career-high 10 rebounds.
- Tera Reed scored 10 points and grabbed six rebounds.
- Nyra Williams scored seven points, had five assists and just one turnover.
- VCU, boasting the second-best field goal defense in the nation, limited N.C. A&T to just 27.3 percent shooting (15-of-55) and 25 percent from 3-point range (5-of-20).
- The Rams shot 48.8 percent from the floor (21-of-43) and 23.1 percent from deep (3-of-13).
- VCU committed 26 turnovers to N.C. A&T's 15 but the Rams outscored the Aggies 14-13 in points off turnovers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU jumped out to a 12-2 lead with 4:27 left in the first quarter.
- N.C. A&T outscored the Rams 10-4 to cut VCU's lead to 16-12 at the end of the quarter.
- The Rams pushed their advantage to 27-21 at halftime.
- The Aggies went on a 9-3 run to start the third quarter and tied the game 30-30 with 4:31 left.
- VCU led just 35-34 heading into the fourth quarter after a couple of ties and lead changes,
- After an Aggies free throw tied the game 35-35, VCU embarked on the 16-4 run to take control of the game.
- The Aggies never threatened after the run and would get no closer than six points.
VCU returns home on Dec. 31 for a 1 p.m. tip against Delaware State at the E.J. Wade Arena at the Stuart C. Siegel Center.