Final Score: VCU 84, Longwood 55
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena at Stuart C. Siegel Center)
Records: VCU 2-0, Longwood 0-1
Attendance: 3,729 (Second-largest crowd in VCU history)
The Short Story: The Rams started 2-0 for the first time since 2015-16 after jumping out to a 26-8 lead on Longwood and never looking back. The Rams played in front of the second-largest crowd in VCU history on Education Day.
- Tera Reed scored a game-high 15 points to lead VCU on 4-of-9 shooting. She also added four rebounds.
- Sydnei Archie continued her strong start with 13 points and five rebounds.
- Madison Hattix-Covington had a game-high 13 rebounds and six points.
- Olga Petrova scored eight points with four rebounds.
- VCU shot 48.3 percent from the floor and limited Longwood to shoot just 20 percent.
- The Rams also held a decisive 54-35 edge in rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Longwood scored the first point of the game on a free throw 55 seconds into the contest but VCU responded with an 11-1 run and never trailed again.
- The Rams pushed their lead to 26-8 by the end of the first quarter as Kseniya Malashka hit a 3-pointer just before the buzzer.
- Archie hit a 3-pointer with 4:15 left before halftime to extend the VCU lead to 40-16.
- VCU led 47-20 at halftime and Longwood didn't get within 20 points for the remainder of the contest.
VCU travels to UNC on Wednesday Nov. 14 at 11 a.m. in Chapel Hill, N.C.