Final Score: No. 6 Saint Joseph's 72, No. 11 VCU 63
Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Hagan Arena)
Records: VCU 7-22, Saint Joseph's 16-13
The Short Story: The Rams trailed just 45-41 heading into the fourth quarter but Saint Joseph's opened the fourth quarter on an 8-0 run to build a 53-41 lead. VCU would only get as close as six points for the remainder of the contest. The loss in the Atlantic 10 Women's Basketball Championship concluded the season for VCU.
- Taya Robinson scored a game-high 18 points while adding four rebounds and three assists. She only committed one turnover and shot 7-of-16 from the floor.
- Nyra Williams added 13 points on 4-of-8 shooting.
- Sydnei Archie scored seven points and grabbed a team-high six rebounds.
- The Hawks held a 32-22 edge in rebounding but the Rams had a slight 9-6 advantage in second chance points.
- Saint Joseph's shot 48.9 percent from the filed while VCU shot 37.3 percent. The Hawks went 26-of-29 from the free throw line while the Rams were 21-of-25.
- The Hawks were led by Chelsea Woods who scored 33 points and had seven rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Hawks got the first two points of the game on a pair of free throws by Adashia Franklyn before the Rams went on a 7-0 run.
- The Hawks tied the game at 7-7 and the two teams went back-and-forth before ending the first quarter tied 13-13.
- VCU took a slim 16-15 lead before Saint Joseph's went on a 16-7 run to close the period and take the lead at 31-23 at halftime.
- Saint Joseph's pushed its lead to 33-23 coming out of the break but VCU slowly chipped away at the lead at trailed just 45-41 heading into the final quarter.
- The Hawks opened the fourth quarter on an 8-0 run and built a 53-41 lead.
- VCU cut into the deficit and got as close as 56-50 with 5:09 remaining but the Hawks did just enough to keep VCU at bay. The Rams would get no closer than six points during the final 5:09 of the game.