Final Score: Richmond 77, VCU 68 (Overtime)
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 4-16 (1-7 A-10), Richmond 8-14 (3-6, A-10)
The Short Story: In the first game of the Sonabank/P.O.W.E.R. Crosstown Showdown between VCU and Richmond, the Rams led after three quarters before the Spiders used a big fourth quarter to send the game to overtime. Richmond outscored the Rams 12-3 in the overtime period to take the victory.
- Tera Reed tied a career-high with 22 points and also had a team-high 11 rebounds. It marked the third double-double of her young career.
- Taya Robinson scored 12 points and at two rebounds and third assists.
- Jailyn Maddox also scored in double figures with 10 points along with seven rebounds.
- VCU outrebounded Richmond 47-25 including 15-4 edge in offensive rebounds. The Rams did have 24 turnovers on the day while Richmond committed 10.
- VCU shot 41 percent from the field while the Spiders shot 44 percent.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams jumped on the Spiders early to go up 8-2 with 7:38 left in the first quarter.
- Richmond responded by closing the quarter on a 19-8 run as the Spiders led 21-16 heading into the second quarter.
- The Rams had a big second quarter in which they outscored the Spiders 26-13 as they shot 75.0 percent from 3-point range and Richmond shot just 12.5 percent. The quarter allowed VCU to take 42-34 lead at halftime.
- VCU came out in the third quarter and continued to expand its lead. The Rams outscored Richmond 17-11 and built their largest lead of the game at 59-45 with 38 seconds left in the frame. The Spiders got a basket before the end of the quarter to make it 59-47 heading into the fourth.
- Richmond outscored VCU 18-6 in the fourth quarter to force overtime and then outscored the Rams 12-3 in the overtime period.
VCU hosts Saint Joseph's on Wednesday Jan. 31 at 6 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena.