Final Score: La Salle 62, VCU 57
Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Tom Gola Arena)
Records: VCU 4-15 (1-6 A-10), La Salle 7-13 (2-5, A-10)
The Short Story: In a back-and-forth contest, VCU held a 38-30 lead during the third quarter before La Salle went on a 12-0 run to retake the lead and ultimately held off VCU late. The Explorers shot 46.4 percent in the second half to push past the Rams.
- Tera Reed led VCU with a team-high 17 points along with six rebounds. She went 6-of-13 from the field and 5-of-6 at the free throw line.
- Jailyn Maddox was just short of a double-double with 12 points and led the team with a career-high nine rebounds.
- Taya Robinson added eight points and a career-high eight rebounds.
- VCU outrebounded La Salle 54-39 overall, including a 21-10 edge on the offensive glass but held just a 13-9 advantage in second chance points.
- La Salle was led by Amy Griffin who scored 26 points along with seven rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams started the game quick and raced out to a 7-0 lead with 6:38 left in the first quarter.
- La Salle responded and outscored the Rams 15-7 during the final 6:38 of the quarter to take a 15-14 lead.
- The teams battled during the second quarter with three ties and three lead changes before VCU closed the first half on an 8-2 run to take a 30-24 lead into halftime.
- VCU pushed its lead to as many as eight points three times during the third quarter, the largest lead of the game by either team, and was up 38-30 with 4:57 left in the third.
- La Salle then used a 12-0 run to retake the lead at 42-38 heading into the final quarter.
- After the Explorers built a 47-40 lead, back-to-back layups from Maddox and a free throw from Sydnei Archie trimmed the deficit to just 47-45 with 5:30 remaining.
- The teams traded buckets over the next few minutes and Explorers held a slim lead of 54-51 with 1:48 remaining before Adreana Miller hit a 3-pointer to push La Salle's lead to 57-51.
- The Rams got as close as 59-55 with 36 seconds remaining before sending La Salle to the free throw line where they went 3-of-4 to end the game.
VCU hosts Richmond on Sunday at 1 p.m. in the Sonabank/P.O.W.E.R. Crosstown Showdown. The game will also air locally on television on CBS 6.3.