Final Score: Fordham 64, VCU 54
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 4-13 (1-4 A-10), Fordham 14-4 (5-0, A-10)
The Short Story: Trailing 31-27 at halftime, VCU battled league-leading Fordham down the stretch and trailed just 57-52 with 2:25 left in the game. Despite the late surge from VCU, Fordham was able to close the game on a 7-2 run.
- Taya Robinson scored a career-high 10 points along with two assists.
- Tera Reed had a team-high 12 points along with three rebounds and three assists.
- Sofya Pashigoreva scored seven points but had a team-high nine rebounds and four blocks.
- Fordham outscored VCU 18-2 in second chance points and outrebounded VCU 39-27 overall, with 19 offensive boards. Fordham also held a 14-8 edge in points off turnovers.
- VCU shot 45.5 percent from the field, its second-best shooting percentage this season.
- Fordham was led by Cavanaugh who scored a team-high 19 points along with six rebounds. G'mrice Davis had 12 points and 14 rebounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After VCU's Pashigoreva scored the first bucket, Fordham went on a 14-2 run to lead 14-4 with 3:38 remaining in the first quarter.
- VCU responded with a 6-0 run of its own to end the quarter trailing 14-10.
- The two teams played an even second quarter until Fordham built a 27-20 lead with 2:20 left before halftime. VCU got a 3-pointer from Sydnei Archie and a jumper by Robinson as it cut Fordham's lead to 28-27 with 54 seconds left.
- Fordham hit a 3-pointer on its last possession of the half to take a 31-27 lead into the break.
- Fordham opened a 50-39 lead at the end of the third quarter before VCU made a run midway through the fourth.
- Trailing 57-45 with 4:16 left in the game, the Rams went on a 6-0 run to cut the deficit to just 57-51 with 2;25 left.
- Fordham held off the VCU rally and outscored VCU 7-2 to close the game.
VCU travels to Massachusetts for a 2 p.m. tipoff on Sunday Jan. 21.