Final Score: George Washington 61, VCU 39
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 3-11 (0-2 A-10), George Washington 6-8 (1-1 A-10)
The Short Story: The Rams outscored George Washington 24-19 in the second half but couldn't overcome an early deficit as the Colonials jumped out to an early 10-0 lead and built a 42-15 advantage at halftime.
- Nyra Williams tied for the team-high with six points and added a team-high six rebounds.
- Danielle Hammond also scored six points along with three rebounds.
- Taya Robinson added five points and four rebounds.
- George Washington shot 41.2 percent from the field while the Rams shot just 26.7 percent.
- GW had a 22-3 advantage in points off turnovers while VCU held a 16-4 edge in second chance points.
- VCU went 0-of-8 from 3-point range while the Colonials went 6-of-20.
- The Colonials were led by Kelsi Mahoney who scored 17 points. Brianna Cummings and Neila Luma each scored 14 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After George Washington opened the game on a 10-0 run, they held a 19-7 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- The Colonials then outscored the Rams 23-8 in the second quarter to lead 42-15 at halftime.
- VCU and GW played an even third quarter as both teams scored 12 points during the frame.
- The Rams' defense held GW to just two points during the final 4:51 of the contest but trailed 59-31 and couldn't overcome the deficit. VCU went on an 8-2 run to close the contest.
VCU will host Duquesne at 1 p.m. on Jan. 7 at the E.J. Wade Arena.