Final Score: Penn 82, VCU 52
Location: Newark, N.J. (NJIT Wellness and Events Center)
Records: VCU 2-9, Penn 5-4
The Short Story: Penn opened the game on a 18-2 run and built an insurmountable 45-19 halftime lead over the Rams. VCU feel behind in large part due to 14 turnovers in the first half but the Rams only yielded one turnover in the second half.
- Del Sparks, who is from the Bronx, New York, led VCU with a career-high 15 points while shooting 4-of-5 from 3-point range.
- Jailyn Maddox added eight points on 4-of-8 shooting from the floor.
- VCU shot 34.7 percent from the field while Penn shot 45.3 percent including 40.0 percent from 3-point range.
- Penn outrebounded VCU 49-25 including 23 offensive rebounds.
- The Quakers held a 22-8 edge in second chance points.
- The Quakers were led by Eleah Parker who had a game-high 18 points. Michelle Nwokedi had 13 points and 14 rebounds for a double-double.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Quakers opened the game on the 18-2 run. VCU's offense did catch on as the Rams outscored Penn 7-2 to end the quarter.
- VCU trailed 20-9 at the end of the first frame.
- Penn outscored the Rams 25-10 in the second quarter to lead 45-19 at halftime.
- VCU opened the second half on a 7-2 run to cute the deficit to 47-26. The Rams went 5-of-5 from the free throw line during the run.
- The two teams battled for the rest of the quarter and Penn led 65-40 going into the fourth.
- The Quakers edge VCU in scoring, 17-12 during the fourth quarter.
The Rams will conclude non-conference play against Long Beach State on Dec. 29 at 3 p.m. in the consolation game of the NJIT Highlanders Christmas Classic.