Final Score: VCU 62, Coppin State 47
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 2-7, Coppin State 1-10
The Short Story: Leading 33-32 with 4:47 left in the third quarter, VCU went on a 12-0 run while holding Coppin State scoreless during a four-minute stretch to take a commanding 45-32 lead. Coppin State got as close as nine points with 9:43 left in the contest but the Rams led by double digits the rest of the way. Four Rams scored in double figures in the win as VCU's five starters combined for 51 of the 62 points.
- Tera Reed recorded the second double-double of her young career with 13 points and 10 rebounds.
- Jailyn Maddox had a game-high 14 points along with five rebounds and two assists.
- Sandra Skinner had a career-high 11 points along with six rebounds.
- Nyra Williams rounded out four Rams in double figures with 10 points and six assists.
- VCU's defense limited the Eagles to just 23 percent shooting from the floor and 25 percent from 3-point range.
- The Rams outscored Coppin State 30-14 in the paint and 11-0 off the bench.
- VCU held a 47-36 edge in total rebounds and despite allowing the Eagles 18 offensive rebounds, Coppin State only scored 10 points.
- The Eagles were led by Genesis Lucas who scored 22 points but shot 7-of-30 from the field and 4-of-20 from 3-point range.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Rams and Coppin State battled back and forth through the first quarter with two ties and two lead changes. VCU led 15-14 going into the second frame.
- The Rams outscored the Eagles 6-1 to start the second quarter and took a 21-16 lead with 7:49 left before halftime.
- The lead grew as large as seven points but Coppin State scored on a three-point play to cut the lead to just 25-24 with 2:47 left.
- VCU would go on a 5-0 run to take a 30-24 lead at halftime.
- The Rams opened the second half with back-to-back layups to go up 33-24 but Coppin State answered with an 8-0 run to make it 33-32 with 4:47 left in the quarter.
- The Rams then opened the game up with a 12-0 run while holding Coppin State scoreless and led by at least nine points the rest of the way.
VCU hosts Georgetown on Dec. 21 at 6 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena.