Final Score: UNCW 83, VCU 67
Location: Wilmington, N.C. (Trask Coliseum)
Records: UNCW 4-3, VCU 0-6
The Short Story: Trailing 71-56 in the fourth quarter, the Rams went on a 7-0 run to cut UNCW's lead to just 71-63 with 2:59 remaining but the Seahawks were able to outscore VCU 12-4 over the final three minutes to take the victory.
- Jailyn Maddox scored a career-high 20 points along with a career-high seven rebounds. She surpassed her previous career-high mark of 18 points in the season opener against Norfolk State. Maddox was 8-of-15 from the field and 4-of-6 from the free throw line.
- Tera Reed scored 17 points with a team-high nine rebounds.
- Bria Gibson grabbed eight rebounds but was limited to just 17 minutes due to foul trouble.
- Sandra Skinner made her season debut and scored five points with five rebounds in 15 minutes of play.
- The Rams shot 42.4 percent from the field while UNCW shot 47.7 percent.
- UNCW's bench outscored VCU 35-10 and the Seahawks led 16-8 in points off turnovers.
- Neither team found success at the charity stripe as VCU went 15-of-28 from the free throw line while UNCW went just 13-of-23.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After trailing 12-2 in the first quarter, the Rams went on a 12-0 run to get back into the game and take a 14-12 lead. The run was sparked by a Maddox jumper and capped off with a basket from Skinner.
- VCU and UNCW were tied 14-14 heading into the second quarter.
- The Rams tied the game at 16-16 but the Seahawks outscored VCU 16-8 for the remainder of the quarter and took a 32-25 lead into halftime.
- The Rams' offense heated up in the third as the team shot 66.7 percent (8-of-12) from the field but the Seahawks also shot 58.8 percent from the floor (10-of-17).
- UNCW just outscored VCU in the frame 25-24 and held a 57-49 lead going into the fourth quarter.
- The Seahawks built their lead to 71-56 in the fourth quarter before VCU's 7-0 run cut the deficit back to just eight points.
- The Seahawks scored the final six points of the game, mostly at the free throw line, for the final margin.
VCU returns home for the first time since Nov. 12 as the Rams host rival Old Dominion on Dec. 6 at 7 p.m. at the E.J. Wade Arena.