Final Score: UNCG 74, VCU 61
Location: Greensboro, N.C. (Fleming Gymnasium)
Records: VCU 0-3, UNCG 4-1
The Short Story: After trailing by as many as 19 points, VCU battled its way back into the contest and cut the deficit to as little as 61-59 with 4:04 remaining but the Spartans held off VCU's surge in part due to a 5-0 run that saw the Spartans take a 67-59 lead with only 1:23 remaining. The Rams forced UNCG to the free throw line at the end of the contest and the Spartans final nine points all came from the charity stripe.
- Tera Reed had 13 points, six rebounds and five assists.
- Nyra Williams had a career-high 10 points along with four assists and two steals.
- Delphynia Sparks had 10 points as the third Ram in double figures.
- Gibson added a team-high 11 rebounds along with eight points.
- The Rams shot 44.4 percent from the field while the Spartans shot 46.6 percent from the floor.
- VCU committed 29 team fouls, three shy of the school record, while UNCG was whistled for 15.
- Te'ja Twitty and Nadine Soliman each scored a game-high 20 points for UNCG.
- The Spartans held a 36-32 edge in rebounds and outscored VCU 23-10 in points off turnovers.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the Rams got the first bucket of the game on a Gibson jumper, UNCG went on a 25-6 run for the remainder of the quarter and led 25-8 at the end of the stanza.
- The Spartans had their largest lead of the game at 19 points twicem with the last coming at a 33-14 margin with 6:16 left in the second quarter.
- The Rams got a lift as Niya Johnson's 3-pointer sparked a 14-0 run that cut UNCG's lead all the way down to just 33-28 with 1:21 left in the half.
- VCU trailed 36-28 at halftime.
- UNCG built its lead back to 51-37 with 3:09 left in the third quarter but VCU hung around and a layup by Reed had VCU down just 54-44 going into the final frame.
- Trailing 59-47 with 7:39 left to play, VCU used a 12-2 run capped by a pair of Gibson free throws to trail just 61-59 with 4:04 left to play. The Rams would get no closer as UNCG held on for the victory.
The Rams will travel to Atlanta for two games as part of the Georgia State Thanksgiving Classic. VCU will face the GSU at 4:00 p.m. on Friday, Nov. 24.