Final Score: No. 8 VCU 72, No. 9 Richmond 64
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 16-14, Richmond 13-17
The Short Story: Leading Richmond 62-60, senior guard Keira Robinson made a 3-pointer with 27 seconds remaining to push the Rams through to the Atlantic 10 Women's Basketball Championship Second Round where they will face No. 1 seed Dayton on Friday at 11 a.m. VCU also beat Richmond for the third time this season.
- The Rams grabbed 17 offensive rebounds and had a 15-2 edge in second chance points over Richmond. VCU outrebounded Richmond 34-29.
- Robinson scored a team-high 16 points along with six rebounds, two assists, three steals and no turnovers.
- GG Goodhope had 15 points and four assists on 6-of-12 shooting from the field.
- Isis Thorpe scored 13 points and went 3-of-6 from 3-point range.
- Curteeona Brelove was the fourth Ram to score in double figures as she had 10 points and four rebounds.
- The Rams only committed six turnovers while Richmond had 10.
- VCU led 36-18 in points in the paint and shot 41.2 percent from 3-point range.
- Micaela Parson had a game-high 18 points for Richmond.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Richmond started the game on a 17-6 run and held its largest lead with 3:42 remaining in the first quarter.
- VCU ended the run on a Mooriah Rowser 3-pointer and outscored Richmond 18-8 to cut its deficit to just 25-24 with 4:19 left before halftime.
- The Rams took their first lead of the game at 27-25 with 3:12 remaining in the second quarter on a Brelove layup.
- The Spiders retook the lead on their ensuing possession and led the Rams 35-32 at halftime.
- The third quarter saw the lead change five times but the Rams were able to outscore the Spiders 17-8 during the frame and led 49-43 going into the fourth.
- VCU's lead got as large as 52-43 after a Thorpe 3-pointer to being the final quarter but Richmond used a 10-4 run to cut the lead to 56-53.
- The Spiders were never able to tie the game or retake the lead but cut the margin to one point on two occasions with the last coming with 1:57 left in the game. Richmond trailed VCU 60-59 at that point.
- The Rams got an offensive rebound on the next possession and Brelove converted a layup to push VCU's lead to 62-59 with 1:27 left.
- After a made Richmond free throw, Robinson hit a 3-pointer and the Rams went 7-of-8 at the free throw line to close the game.
VCU will face No. 1 seed Dayton in the Atlantic 10 Women's Basketball Championship Second Round on Friday, March 3 at 11 a.m. the Richmond Coliseum.