Final Score: VCU 61, Fordham 58
Location: Bronx, N.Y. (Rose Hill Gymnasium)
Records: VCU 11-10 (4-4 A-10), Fordham 15-7 (6-2 A-10)
The Short Story: Trailing 32-16 with 2:51 remaining in the second quarter, VCU went on a 16-0 run to tie the game at 32-32 in third. The two teams battled as Fordham eventually led 58-57 with 37 seconds left. Out of a timeout, Keira Robinson drove into the lane and converted a jumper with 22 seconds left to give VCU the lead for good.
- Mooriah Rowser tied a season-high with 17 points to lead all scorers.
- Robinson had a double-double with 12 points and 10 rebounds, including the go-ahead bucket. She also had four assists and four steals.
- Robinson eclipsed 1,000 career points on a made 3-pointer just prior to halftime.
- Isis Thorpe also scored 15 points along with five rebounds. She shot 5-of-8 from the field.
- The Rams shot 45.1 percent overall and 50.0 percent from 3-point range for the game.
- VCU outrebounded Fordham 35-29 overall and held a 18-14 advantage in points in the paint.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Both teams started the game in a defensive battle as Fordham held a slight 9-8 lead with 3:20 remaining in the first quarter.
- Fordham then went on an 8-1 run to take a 17-9 lead after the first stanza.
- The Black and Gold fell behind Fordham 32-16 with 2:51 left in the second period.
- VCU's comeback began with an Isis Thorpe jumper that sparked a 16-0 run spanning across halftime to tie Fordham 32-32 with 8:46 left in the third quarter.
- Overall, VCU outscored Fordham 22-11 in the third period as VCU held a slight 46-43 lead going into the fourth period.
- Fordham pulled out to a 53-49 lead with 4:26 remaining but Thorpe hit a 3-pointer to get VCU back to within 53-52 with 3:00 left.
- VCU retook the lead at 57-56 on a Curteeona Brelove layup but Fordham's Anna Kelly gave Fordham the lead back at 58-57 with 37 seconds remaining.
- The Black and Gold took a timeout to set up a play and Robinson was able to score the go-ahead basket with 22 seconds left.
- Ashlee Mitchell stole the ensuing inbounds pass and was fouled but missed both free throws.
- Ashley Pegram was able to come down with the offensive board off Mitchell's miss and went 1-of-2 at the line to give VCU a 60-58 lead.
- The Black and Gold's defense forced a missed shot from Fordham and Robinson came up with the rebound. She converted one of her free throws to make the final margin.
VCU will return to the floor on Jan. 28 at 1 p.m. to host Massachusetts