Final Score: Wake Forest 60, VCU 54
Location: Winston-Salem, N.C. (Lawrence Joel Veterans Memorial Coliseum)
Records: VCU 6-7, Wake Forest 9-3
The Short Story: VCU trailed by as many as 16 points but a furious third quarter comeback culminated with the Rams taking a 52-51 lead, their first of the game, with 2:25 remaining. Wake Forest ultimately outscored VCU 9-2 to win the contest.
- Curteeona Brelove had a double-double as she posted a season-highs in both points and rebounds. She scored 16 points and had a career-high 14 rebounds. Brelove was 7-of-13 from the field.
- Mooriah Rowser had a season-high 16 points with two assists and two steals.
- GG Goodhope had nine points, four assists and two steals.
- VCU shot 31.7 percent from the field while Wake Forest shot 34.4 percent.
- The Rams had a slight 44-43 edge in rebounds while the Demon Deacons had a 20-18 edge on the offensive glass.
- VCU led Wake Forest 30-22 in points in the paint.
- The Rams had 12 points on 14 Wake Forest turnovers.
- Elisa Penn had 19 points for Wake Forest and Amber Campbell had 18 points.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Wake Forest opened the game on a 6-0 run and ultimately led VCU 15-10 with 3:42 left in the first quarter.
- The Rams got within 15-12 but the Demon Deacons pulled away to take a 19-12 lead after one period.
- Wake Forest would start the second period with a 3-pointer and outscored VCU a total of 19-6 spanning the last 2:15 of the first quarter until the 2:44 mark in the second quarter. The Demon Deacons held a 34-18 lead and were able to lead 37-21 at halftime.
- VCU embarked on their comeback with a dominating third quarter performance as the Rams limited Wake Forest to just seven points during the frame and outscored them 19-7 to trail just 44-40 going in the final quarter.
- VCU's surge continued into the fourth quarter as the Rams were on the Demon Deacon's heels until a Mooriah Rowser 3-pointer tied the game for the first time 50-50 with 2:44 left in the game.
- After Wake Forest's Ariel Stephenson went 1-for-2 at the free throw line, Goodhope sunk both of hers to give VCU a 52-51 lead with 2:25 left.
- The Demon Deacons were able to get a crucial 3-pointer by Stephenson on the next possession and give Wake Forest the lead for good.
- Down 58-54 with 22 seconds left, the Rams' Keira Robinson used a pump fake to draw contact on a 3-point attempt but her shot missed and no foul was called.
- Wake Forest made two free throws on its next possession for the final margin.
VCU will return home at 1 p.m. on Dec. 29 to face Brown in its final non-conference matchup.