Final Score: Ole Miss 77, VCU 57
Location: Oxford, Miss. (The Pavilion)
Records: VCU 6-6, Ole Miss 9-2
The Short Story: The Rams only trailed Ole Miss 45-38 with 5:54 remaining in the third period but a 14-4 Ole Miss run to end the quarter allowed the Rebels to pull away from VCU.
- Mooriah Rowser had a team-high 12 points on 6-of-11 shooting from the field. She scored eight points in the third quarter.
- GG Goodhope finished with eight points and six assists.
- 10 Rams scored in the contest with seven scoring five points or more.
- Ole Miss had a slight 36-35 edge in rebounds.
- VCU led 20-13 in points off turnovers and shot 40 percent from the field.
- The Rebels shot 48 percent from the field and 56 percent (10-of-18) from 3-point range.
- The Rams were just 12-of-26 from the free throw line (46 percent) while Ole Miss was 9-of-14 from the stripe.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU fell behind early as Ole Miss started the game on a 8-0 run.
- The Rams quickly responded and outscored the Rebels 8-3 over the next three minutes and only trailed11-8 with 5:05 left in the first quarter.
- The Rams got four points from Katherine Strong during the run.
- The two teams went back-and-forth through the remainder of the period and Ole Miss led 19-13 after the first quarter.
- The Rebels went up 22-13 to start the second quarter but VCU again answered with a GG Goodhope 3-pointer and a Keira Robinson layup to cut their lead to just 22-18 with 7:31 left before halftime.
- Ole miss then went on a 15-5 run to take a 37-23 lead but VCU closed the half on a 7-2 spurt to trail 39-30 going into halftime that was capped off by a Rowser jumper.
- The two teams remained close out of halftime with Ole Miss holding just a 45-38 lead before using a 14-4 run to take a 59-42 advantage at the end of the third quarter and hold off VCU.
VCU will travel to face Atlantic Coast Conference member Wake Forest for an 11 a.m. tipoff on Dec. 21.