Final Score: Iona 59, VCU 57
Location: Richmond, Va. (E.J. Wade Arena)
Records: VCU 4-3, Iona 3-3
The Short Story: Trailing 43-35 heading into the fourth quarter, the Rams staged a comeback and outscored the Gaels 22-16 in the fourth quarter. VCU trailed 59-57 with 10 seconds left and had the final possession but Keira Robinson's shot at the buzzer just missed.
- GG Goodhope poured in a season-high 17 points on 5-of-13 shooting including 6-of-9 from the free throw line. Goodhope has scored 17 and 16 points in her last two games, both setting new season-highs.
- Robinson had nine points and five rebounds.
- Ashley Pegram had seven points, one rebound and a steal.
- Curteeona Brelove had six points and four rebounds.
- Iona had a 43-27 edge on the glass.
- VCU shot 38.2 percent from the field while Iona shot 39.3 percent.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Mooriah Rowser opened the scoring but Iona outscored the Rams 5-2 over the first 5:08 of the game.
- The Rams tied the game up at 8-8 on a Goodhope layup and the teams finished the first quarter with the Gaels leading 12-11.
- The Rams opened the second quarter on a 5-0 run after Goodhope hit an uncontested 3-pointer and Pegram followed with a layup to give VCU a 16-12 lead.
- VCU pushed the gap to its largest lead of the game at 19-14 with 5:58 left in the second quarter on a Sandra Skinner free throw.
- Iona outscored 8-3 to tie the game 22-22 with 1:48 left in the half but VCU was able to take a 26-24 lead into halftime.
- The Gaels outscored VCU 19-9 in the third stanza and led 43-35 going into the fourth.
- Down 46-40 with 7:23 left in the game, VCU went on a quick 5-0 run as Goodhope hit two layups and added a free throw.
- Iona again pushed its lead to 59-52 before a 3-pointer from Robinson followed by two free throws to make the score 59-57 with just 37 seconds remaining.
- The Rams got a big defensive stop forcing a missed shot from Iona and regained possession with 10 seconds left.
- VCU's final play was a good look from Robinson from just off the elbow but her shot hit off the rim and time expired.