Final Score: IUPUI 71, VCU 62
Location: E.J. Wade Arena at Stuart C. Siegel Center (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 2-2, IUPUI 3-1
The Short Story: Trailing 53-50 with 4.6 seconds remaining, Keira Robinson hit a 3-pointer to force overtime with the score tied at 53-53. IUPUI started the overtime period hitting three consecutive 3-pointers to take the lead and hold on for the victory.
- Keira Robinson had a team-high 19 points, five rebounds and three assists.
- Sandra Skinner had nine points and six rebounds, going 4-of-5 from the field.
Curteeona Brelove had 11 points and six rebounds with one assist.
- The Rams shot 34 percent from the floor while IUPUI shot 41 percent.
- The two teams were even at 41-41 on rebounds.
- VCU outscored the Jaguars in the paint 36-20 and had a 7-3 edge in steals.
- There were 10 lead changes and eight ties during the course of the game.
- IUPUI had 17 turnovers while the Rams committed only 13.
- The Jaguars shot 11-of-25 from 3-point range.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- IUPUI started out with an 8-4 lead over the Rams in the first 5:06 of the game.
- The Rams, trailing 11-8, would go on a 7-0 run to end the first quarter sparked by back-to-back layups from Bria Gibson, the second on aided by an offensive rebound from Thorpe.
- The Rams held a 15-11 lead at the end of the first quarter.
- The Jaguars battled back to tie the game at 16-16 and the teams traded baskets to make it 18-18 with 5:04 in the half. It would be the last field goal for IUPUI before the break.
- The Rams defense clamped down as Skinner, Thorpe and Robinson each hit layups for a 6-0 run to the end half and give VCU the 24-18 lead at the break.
- The Jaguars started the third quarter outscoring VCU 9-4 but the Rams finished the stanza going 5-of-6 from the field to take a 40-35 lead at the end of the third quarter.
- The Rams went on a scoring drought that lasted 2:09 and allowed IUPUI to retake the lead 42-41 with 4:48 left in the game.
- The teams stayed close and the Jaguars held a 53-50 lead with 21.6 seconds remaining.
- On VCU's ensuing possession, Keira Robinson drained a 3-pointer to force overtime with 4.1 seconds left on the clock.
- IUPUI made three consecutive 3-pointers to take the lead in overtime and hold off VCU.