Final Score: Minnesota 79, VCU 69
Location: E.J. Wade Arena at Stuart C. Siegel Center (Richmond, Va.)
Records: VCU 1-1, Minnesota 2-0
The Short Story: After trailing 41-22 at halftime, VCU valiantly battled back and outscored Minnesota 25-16 in third quarter to pull to within 57-47 heading into the fourth. The Rams got as close as eight points on two occasions during the fourth quarter but couldn't overcome the deficit.
- Keira Robinson had a team-high 20 points to go along with five rebounds and three assists.
- Mooriah Rowser and Isis Thorpe each had 10 points.
- Bria Gibson had a team-high seven rebounds while Curteeona Brelove had six.
- Minnesota only outscored VCU in one quarter, when the Golden Gophers took the lead in the second.
- The Golden Gophers had a slight 50-41 edge in overall rebounds while the Rams had a 19-18 edge in offensive boards.
- VCU forced 23 Minnesota turnovers but Minnesota scored 24 points of VCU's 16 turnovers.
- The Rams went 15-of-21 from the free throw line.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- VCU started the game on a 6-0 run after back-to-back buckets from Camille Calhoun and capped by a Robinson jumper.
- The Gophers were able to cut the Rams' lead to just 13-12 at the end of the first quarter.
- Minnesota outscored VCU 29-9 in the second frame to take a 41-22 lead into halftime.
- The Rams made a huge run in the second half as Robinson scored 13 of her points in the half while Rowser scored all 10 of her points in the second stanza.
- The Gophers led 45-25 with 7:58 remaining in the third quarter before the Rams' went on a 20-10 run to cut the deficit to 55-45 with 53 seconds left in the frame.
- The Rams got as close as eight points twice during the fourth quarter but couldn't quite overcome the Golden Gophers.