The Short Story: VCU Men's Track & Field competed in their final indoor meet prior to the start of the Atlantic 10 Indoor Championships over the weekend. The Rams had seven athletes set new personal bests in their respective events.
How It Happened (Day One)
- Senior Jamik Alexander set a new personal best after winning the 60m Run with a time of 6.86. After being named A-10 Freshman of the Week earlier this week, JeVon Waller placed second in the same event, posting a time of 6.89.
- Sophomore Will Schwartz won the Weight Throw, posting a toss of 17.34m. Freshman Jaekob Vollbrecht also earned a top-5 finish in the event after posting a throw of 15.41m.
- Junior Lucas Sidle set a new personal best in the 1000m Run, posting a time of 2:31.20 to finish in second place.
- Senior Devin Bethea finished in fourth place in the Triple Jump, recording a leap of 13.63m.
- Senior Devon Thompson earned a fifth place finish in the 400m Run after posting a time of 49.29 on Friday. Junior Ian Davis, who also competed in the event, set a new personal best with a time of 50.31.
How It Happened (Day Two)
- Vollbrecht set a new personal best in the Shot Put, recording a toss of 17.13m. The throw won him the event and was was more than a meter further than the second place finisher.
- Senior Bashir Idris placed second in the Long Jump, posting a leap of 6.97m. His mark also set a new personal best.
- Lucas Sidle earned a sixth place finish in the 1 Mile Run, posting a new personal best time of 4:23.44.
- Ian Davis earned a second place finish in the 60m Hurdles, posting a time of 8.20.
- JeVon Waller and Jamik Alexander followed up their day one performances by placing first and second respectively in the 60m Run, posting times of 6.93 and 6.94.
- Junior Chukwuezugo Aguolu placed second in the 500m Run, recording a time of 1:06.13.
- VCU's 4x400m Relay Team earned a third place finish after Devon Thompson, Nicholas Buckingham, Ian Davis, and Emmanuel Waller combined to post a time of 3:18.66.
The Rams will take a week break from competition in preparation for the Atlantic 10 Indoor Championships, which is set to begin in Fairfax, Va. on Feb. 23.