Score: Penn 4, VCU 3
Location: Philadelphia, Pa. (Hecht Tennis Center)
Records: VCU 4-4, Penn 5-1
The short story: The Rams fought hard and gave it their all, but ultimately fell short to Penn to fall to 4-4 on the season.
- Arvid Noren and Inigo Torre Martin defeated Penn's Graziani and Zhu to earn VCU its only doubles victory of the match
- Martin cruised by Noah Makarome in two sets which gave VCU its first point of the match in No. 5 singles
- Javier Amantegui kept VCU in the match after defeating Jason Hilderbrandt in two sets in No. 6 singles
- Rayane Stable fought hard to earn VCU the match point against Graziani but fell short in three sets
- After the match was already decided, Philip Mobius defeated Dmitry Shatalin in three sets in No. 4 singles
Penn 4, VCU 3
1. Mautner/Shatalin (PENN) def. Amentegui/Stable – 6-3
2. Noren/Torre Martin def. Graziani/Zhu (PENN) – 7-5
3. Hildebrandt/Smithline (PENN) def. Mobius/Rivero Crespo – 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. Kyle Mautner (PENN) def. Stefan Petrovic – 6-0, 6-3
2. Edoardo Graziani (PENN) def. Rayane Stable – 4-6, 6-2, 6-4
3. Kevin Zhu (PENN) def. Arvid Noren – 7-5, 6-3
4. Philip Mobius def. Dmitry Shatalin (PENN) – 1-6, 6-4, 7-5
5. Inigo Torre Martin def. Noah Makarome (PENN) – 6-1, 6-3
6. Javier Amantegui def. Jason Hildebrandt (PENN) – 7-6, 7-6
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 5, 6, 2, 4
HEAD COACH ANTHONY ROSSI
"Today we lost the crucial doubles point. We came out a little flat and they jumped on us early in the match Hopefully we can learn from this and be better against Temple tomorrow."
VCU returns to action tomorrow Feb. 10 at 7 p.m. for a road matchup against Temple.