Score: No. 2 Ohio State 4, VCU 0 | Cornell 4, VCU 1
Location: Columbus, Ohio (Stickney Tennis Center)
Records: VCU 4-2, Ohio State 4-0, Cornell 1-1
The short story: VCU battled hard but fell short in two matches against Ohio State and Cornell in the ITA Weekend Kick-Off.
- Ohio State swept doubles play to take the point, defeating the combinations of Javier Amantegui/Rayane Stable and Philip Mobius/Inaki Rivero Crespo.
- No. 3 ranked JJ Wolf of OSU defeated Sophomore Rayane Stable in two sets, marking Stable's first loss of his VCU career.
- Freshman Stefan Petrovic logged his first loss of the season in singles play as he faced off against No. 13 ranked Kyle Seelig.
- VCU won the doubles point against Cornell, outscoring the Bears 12-3.
#2 Ohio State 4, VCU Men's Tennis 0
Order of Finish: 3, 1
1. #3 JJ Wolf (OSU) def. Rayane Stable 6-1, 6-1
2. #36 John McNally (OSU) vs. Arvid Noren 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
3. #13 Kyle Seelig (OSU) def. Stefan Petrovic 6-0, 6-2
4. #87 Tim Seibert (OSU) vs. Philip Mobius 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
5. Martin Joyce (OSU) vs. Inigo Torre Martin 6-2, 2-3, unfinished
6. Alex Kobelt (OSU) def. Javier Amantegui 6-3, 6-0
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 6
Cornell 4, VCU 1
Order of finish: 2, 3
1. Alafia Ayeni (CORNELL) def. Rayane Stable 6-2, 6-1
2. Lev Kazakov (CORNELL) def. Arvid Noren 7-5, 6-1
3. Daniel Soyfer (CORNELL) def. Philip Mobius 6-3, 6-1
4. Evan Bynoe (CORNELL) def. Inigo Torre Martin 4-6, 6-4, 6-1
5. Pietro Rimondini (CORNELL) vs. Javier Amantegui 7-5, 2-6, 3-2, unfinished
6. Konstantin Kirovski (CORNELL) vs. Inaki Rivero Crespo 6-2, 3-6, 5-4, unfinished
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2, 4
"We have learned a lot from this weekend. The team is motivated and ready to get back to work for our next matches. We are on the right track, we just need to believe more in ourselves and try to play a little bit more aggressive at some points. We're already looking forward for our next match on Friday. Go Rams!"
VCU will return home and is set to host East Tennessee State on Friday, Feb. 1 at 2 p.m.